Using the examples from the lecture, explain two ways the railroad system changed business in the United States.
Ok, so we’ve been talking about various factors that have changed the United States’ economy. One especially important factor is the development of railroads. When the railroad system expended to almost the US, it fundamentally changed the way business perform in this country.
For one thing, it expanded and the railroad enable companies to start selling their goods to all of the country. Since trains could now transport merchandise all over US, companies could now sell good to customers pretty much anywhere of the country.
For example. There was a big company that sold quartz. The company started in a big city. And before the development of railroad, the company could only sell its quartz to people living in or near the city. But when the railroad expanded, the company could load their quartz on trains and have it delivered to all parts of the country.
Task 1: Your friend doesn’t take the class seriously. Now with the final exams coming, he asks for your help. Yet you also have to prepare for your exams. Under this circumstance, would you prefer to help him with his exam or prepare for your own exam?
Task 2: Your school decides to stop investing in a student club. Which one do you think they should give up, the hiking club or the speech and debate club?(話題命中，機經預測Task 1第20題)
Task 1: Your professor suddenly cancels the class for today. Would you prefer to go shopping with your friends or prepare for the exam?(話題命中，機經預測Task 2第4題)
Task 2: Some people want their children to go to school, but some people prefer to let their children be home schooled. Which do you prefer? Why?
1. Which one would you prefer? Go to a college in your hometown or go to a university in a new town?
2. Which of the following classes would you like to take?
1) history of science
2) art history
3) science of the 20th century
3. Your degree requires you to take one course, which one would you choose?
1) Energy and environment
2) Health and nutrition
3) Solar system
4. Some professors prefer to give regular quizzes. Some prefer to give surprising quizzes. Please talk about the advantages and/or disadvantages of surprising quizzes.
5. Some professors allow students to have exams at home, then bringing their test papers back to school to submit. From your perspective. Can you talk about the advantage and disadvantage of this kind of examination?
6. University students encounter many difficult challenges in their studies. Which challenge do you think is the most difficult one and how do you deal with it?
7. Your school plans to open a new section for the school newspaper, which one of the following would you suggest they add? Explain why.
1) Film recommendation
2) Tips and advice about student travel
3) Restaurant review
8. Imagine that you have been accepted by two different universities. One university is well-known for its excellent academic program, but it’s expensive; while another is less well-known, but has offered you with scholarship to pay for your intuition fee. Which university would you prefer, explain why.
9. What is your opinion on the following statement: students should be allowed to take snacks and beverage into classrooms?
10. You have been very busy and unable to prepare for the exam tomorrow. You can either stay up late to study and sleep less or just study less and get full night’s sleep. Which will you choose?
11. Which of the following creative activities do you feel like to get involved in?
1) Pottery making
3) Art creation
12. If your school wants to stop investing the following clubs, which one do you suggest they choose?
1) Athletic clubs
2) Mathematical clubs
3) Academic clubs
13. One of your friends is often late for events and appointments, which makes other angry. You would like to help your fiend. What advice will you give your fiend to help avoid this problem in the future? Use specific details and examples in your advice.
14. Your professor asks you to help him with his research project, but on that day you have promised your sister to attend her birthday party. how will you choose?
15. Which of the qualities that the parents or family members can help you develop.
16. Talk about the advantage and disadvantage of being active on social media.
17. Which of the following functions of the smart phone will benefit students the most?
1) Listening to music
2) Recording the lecture
3) Taking photos
18. Many people prefer to read books in electronic format on a computer screen or other devices. Some other people prefer to read books on paper printed copies. Which way do you prefer? Why?
19. Your friend wants to come to your country and what things do you suggest that he do and that he not do to be polite and respectful?
20. If the government wants to invest in the following fields, which one do you think is the most worthwhile?
1) land exploration
3) health care